Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Flickr

I found a great lesson plan using Flickr called "Five Card Stories".  The lesson plan offered several variations to the plan that were all very interesting.   To begin the lesson, a teacher would either have prepared five photos that complemented the current class topic of discussion, or allowed students to choose their own photos.  Students would use the five photos to create a story.   The teacher could choose to set the order of the photos, or allow the students to designate their order.

The lesson plan gave a link to a site called 5 Card Flickr.  The computer could automatically choose five photos for you, or you could upload photos of your choice.  The link to this site is http://web.nmc.org/5cardstory/index.php.  Unfortunately, the site was not working properly when I visited, but was under repair.  Nevertheless, the general idea was great for implementing in my classroom.

I like the idea of this lesson, but I would need to tweak it a bit to fit my Health/P.E. classroom.  I would prefer to select specific vocabulary or a list of strategies that students would use in their story with the five photos.  For example, in our lesson on stress, students could develop a story from photos they selected that illustrate coping strategies.  I would prefer to allow students to choose their own photos.  Because I teach high school students, the more freedom I give them the better the quality of their work.

Please use the following link to access the original lesson plan.
 http://interfacemagazine.co.nz/downloads/INTERFACE%20Lesson%20Plan%2042%20-%20Five%20Card%20Flickr%20Story.pdf




1 comment:

  1. Julie, I also really like the idea of 5 Card Flickr. I would think that the plan would be relatively simple to adapt by the judicious selection of images used. Within the Health/PE classroom, I could envision an excellent lesson on nutrition. In our elementary school, I have lunchroom duty several days a week. It is unbelievable the items some parents will pack for their children's lunches.

    ReplyDelete