Thursday, February 18, 2010

BP9_2010023_Web 2.0 T3-Voki

I have chosen Voki as the Web 2.0 tool of the week. This tool is extremely easy to get up and going in a short amount of time. The Voki.com site describes Voki as "a free service that allows you to create personalized speaking avatars and use them on your blog, profile, and in email messages".

With a quick google search, I discover a teacher blog by J. Picardo. She had an excellent idea for using Voki in her classroom. She had her beginning Spanish students create a writing using new vocabulary. The students then had to deliver their writing verbally using Voki. Her goal was to encourage the quieter students in class to have an opportunity to speak. Students were able to prepare their work ahead of time, but still had to practice the pronunciation.

I particularly like that students have the freedom to create their own avatars. This brings out a student's individuality and creative expression. In my health class, many of our topics are somewhat controversial. Some of these topics include drug use, bullying, teen pregnancy, and obesity. Students are frequently hesitant to contribute to these types of discussions with their peers. In my classroom, I would use Voki as a way for students to have a sense of anonymity with their avatars, yet participate in discussions that may be very beneficial to their peers.

I also like that Voki gives a simple introduction into the world of avatar use. My students are not too computer savvy, so most all Web 2.0 tools are new to them. Because the world of education continues to grow into virtual spaces, I think it is important to expose students to these environments. My students would be overwhelmed with Second Life, so Voki is an excellent starting point for avatar creation. It is easy to use and lots of fun too.

Picardo, J. (2008, June 25). Using Voki and a blog in a sequence of three lessons. Message posted to http://www.boxoftricks.net/?p=104



3 comments:

  1. I love Voki! I like that you tied it into an introduction to avatars. I have never thought of that. I'll keep that in mind for my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Julie. I will have to give this a try. I like that the avatars can be used in other formats. It seems very appropriate for younger students and is a great introduction to avatars. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I was working on the assignment about the Virtual worlds I’ve been thinking that for my personal business project Virtual worlds should be an excellent option and precisely after that I found the excellent job of Julie about Voki and the I took the time to investigate a little bit more about how could I incorporate this convenient web2.0 tool to my project.

    Certainly the teachers have huge alternatives incorporating these speaking avatars in their educational developments mainly in the online classroom. And Julie mentions a very interesting reference on J. Picardo in regard to the way he is using Voki; his application to teach Spanish allows me to think that its utilization to teach any language could have excellent results. I have been helping a couple of friends, teaching Spanish to their kids and one thing I can perceive that sometimes they are bored but perhaps incorporating Voki or a similar option for these processes would result in getting the lessons more attractive for children and even for adults.

    Navigating I had the opportunity to find a site called squidoo.com, that among other things, reference an interesting option to be used for teachers, “for teachers these speaking avatars can add a more "human" element to the online class website or blog. It is especially useful for those of us who may not be all that great with videotaping or vodcasting. Instructors can use a voki avatar to introduce the course or topics. It can also be used to aid in instructing those who are more audio/visual learners. Voki is also a great way to get shy students involved or to share comments with students in other countries.” Retrieved from http://www.squidoo.com/voki.

    I agree with Julie when she says the importance is that the students have the freedom to create their own avatars and the consequences derivated from it and what important option to think, through this mechanism, the students could have some anonymity; for sure this option will result in a more wider participation of the students.

    My attention was grabbed by the capability of Voki to changing the accents; it is marvelous for people of different languages to have the opportunity to hear their accents. Of course the Voki can be embed in the EduBlog, but it is important to say that it is not mandatory to open an account to proceed with the embed process.

    Voki, the tool that lets the users express themselves on the web using their own voices; is undoubtedly one of the more attractive web2.0 tools.

    ReplyDelete