Saturday, November 6, 2010

Week 2 - Comment 1


Shawn Fredrick’s Post:

Week 2 Commentary on Chapters 4-6

What I gathered from this weeks reading was that individuals are their own worst roadblocks to being successful and happy. Too often we are focused on what is required in our lives and loose track of the joy of life. The calculating-self figures out what it feels must be done in order to survive in the world and is accompanied by ego and pride, “top of the world!” What I am reminded of in the reading is that when we let the calculating-self rule our lives, we spend all of our time worrying about our survival. It is the central-self that looks beyond the need for survival in life to appreciate the journey along the way. I enjoyed the stories where the ego of the individual is put aside to let the talents and passions of others shine through. This is an excellent story for what it means to be a teacher. It is not about us showing the world how smart we are as instructors but rather the ability we have to allow our students shine.

As I get older I being to practice “Rule number 6” more often. For a number of years I was in a culture where the tasks at work took on the tone of seriousness that drained me to the point at which I dreaded going into work. I was let go from my previous employment and felt the weight of the wold lighten up. The issues that I felt were so dire at the time were gone and I had a new perspective on life. I choose a second career where I felt that I was able to contribute to a greater good and life was not so damn serious!

A short story about my grandfather and father who are now retired and travel together quite frequently. On their trips they regularly eat at out of the way dinners and make it a point to anonymously pick up the tab for someone at least one time every trip. They have found the pure joy in giving the gift without the need for gratitude. It’s funny how much acts of charity throw people for a loop, they make their contribution to add enjoyment to the lives around them. It would seem if the charity were a more common occurrence the world wold be a better place.



My comment to Shawn:

Shawn,


I agree that work can sometimes consume us the point of dreading waking up to it every morning. I was relieved after this week's reading. Life is too short to get caught up in it all. I'm happy you have found your niche in your career, and that things seem to be going well for you.


Image retrieved from http://www.flickr.com/photos/qilin/2946645597/


No comments:

Post a Comment