Sunday, November 21, 2010

Week 4 Comment - Laura


Laura's Post:

During this week, I have had the opportunity to really put into effect some of the practices of this book as I have watched my mother-in-law rapidly decline in health and then pass away. We were all there and it was incredibly sad, but incredibly peaceful as we said goodbye. I have been actively trying to just be present in this moment, with all that it is. I have tried to help my children, who were very close to her- we are all a close family- to also be present and just be, whatever that means for each one. We have not gone to the games of regret or blame- we have simply been here. My presentation Tuesday was very rough and my children were sometimes loud or awkward at difficult times, and I found myself later saying- “How Fascinating!” It was so freeing to my soul to just experience what is right now and to give that to the others around us.


As I read through the rest of the chapters, I have decided to add this one thing more to my classroom- I plan on creating a class vision with the students. This will be my goal when we return from break, to create a place for the We that each student can identify with. I would like to help them reach for the possibility in other ways and teach them some of the principles as the year goes on. I will be rereading this book- and adding more each time.


On a side note of being- as I was writing this entry, I could see my four year old backing up to me while I typed. I quickly put up the computer so he could take his favorite place on my lap. It was glorious to bask in that quiet moment together.


My post:
Laura,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My grandmother passed away almost two years ago, and my children still talk about missing her. Each of my children chose things of hers that were special to them. This really helped them feel like they had their own little piece of her.

This book is one that I will definitely re-read. I really appreciated how the author seems to speak to each of us individually. I think that it was very thoughtful of our professor to give this to us at this point in the program as well.

Image retrieved from users.macunlimited.net

No comments:

Post a Comment