Saturday, November 13, 2010

Week 3 Comment 2 Katie Lovette


Katie's Post:

The Way Things Are: Sometimes settling for the way things are is a lowering of expectations, sometimes it’s finding a starting point so that one can make things better. Where are you in this continuum?

I don’t think we settle for the way things are, I believe we give in because it becomes too difficult to try to make things better. Sometimes we get lucky and a door will open that allows us to start something that will eventually lead to making it better.

Well I’m not always an optimist and I tend to let things stay if it’s too hard to change it. Where I work if I get the opportunity to change things I do or at least I hope on board with others to help in any way I can.


Giving Way to Passion: Control says that the only way to avoid disappointment and frustration is to not care at all. No hits, no runs, but most importantly, no errors. What are you doing in your daily life that expresses your passion or the things you are passionate about?


I teach and every day I get out of bed, dress, and drive out to the school with hopes that I inspire a student to fulfill his dreams. I want to watch them as the concept of storytelling hits them and they cannot wait to become the storyteller.


At home, I’m passionate about my family and pets. Each evening coming home is exciting. I know comfort and love is waiting. At the door our six dogs greet me as they do every member of the family and I’m thrilled to see each and every one of them. I pet and hug each one until their attention is drawn to something else. If it takes me 15 minutes to talk and pet each one, then it takes me fifteen minutes. I realize if I don’t do it today there may not be tomorrow. I don’t want to miss out on any of it.



Lighting a Spark. It’s not about us. It’s about them. What are you doing to pay-forward from your universe of possibility?


As teachers we’ve all had a teacher in our past that has inspired us in someway. The same goes for me. My inspiring teacher is my mentor today. Ella’s first semester teaching at the college was my first semester as a student there. Immediately she became a class favorite and although I had already been working in the business, she inspired me to branch out and try new areas.


Her inspiration has pushed me to hopefully inspire my students. Taking my cues from Ella, when a student complains he’s not smart enough or talented enough, I point out his strengths. I show him his productions and how well it is written or shot. If one struggles to get to class because they don’t have transportation, I tell them to turn an assignment in through email or online. I try to let them know that I will work it out with them. I try to pay forward the kindness and encourage my students as Ella encouraged and worked with us many years ago. And how she continues the same with her students today.


My comment:

Being involved in this program with Fullsail has been a whirlwind experience, but it has taken a considerable amount of time to fulfill the requirements. My children have paid the price. My daughter announced that she would be happy to go to my graduation, because then I would be allowed to play with them again. This made me feel so badly. This degree was important to me, but at what expense have I earned it? This goes back to the Duck or Cow, I guess. My children have learned that achieving things comes with some sacrifice. Since my daughter said that, I have made a conscious effort to stop what I am doing, and give the kids my full attention. I may not get another opportunity at that fifteen minutes!

Image retrieved from http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwr/60496147/

No comments:

Post a Comment